Recreating Hungry July in My Personal Pagan Practice

My 'Hungry July' Camp

What Is Hungry July?

I first read about Hungry July in Kevin Danaher's "A Year in Ireland." It is a six week period of relying on the remnants of the last harvest 6 weeks in June and July. I can't handle six weeks and keep up my productivity, but I can honor my ancestors in my own way, in my modern context.

In Danaher's book, he illustrates the struggles of the poorer classes. It was customary at this particular time of the summer for greater compassion to be given to the poor who have an open hand.

To honor what my ancestors have accomplished for me to exist today, I decided to go out to Krause Springs and fast for two days. I took only a simulated bare stock of remaining harvest foods. The difference between mean and the ancestors is that a little of their food would be green and these people would have a different view of 'spoiled' that we would to day. And so my food didn't have any pests in it, nor did it have any fungus or plant life growing on it as the ancestors may have had. The food I took was less than a quarter meal spread over a two day two night period. I encourage you to read more about hungry July in this book.

Mothers would often tell their children 'You might be glad for that before the harvest!'. It was called 'Yellowmonth' and it was said that if the grain in the field was yellow, that the faces of the poor would be greenish yellow, presumably from malnourishment. Though these are early modern Irish traditions, they are perfect for our late modern observance, spiritual growth and discipline. They were no doubt a part of the ancient world and so we can fast during these times to honor our ancestors, contemplate blessings, and gain power over our egos through conquering impulse. 

Krause Springs











One of the closest natural sets of springs is Krause springs. You can't tell from the pictures but this place is like the magical oasis on land before time. There are over 16 places the waters come up from the ground, and the best part is, there are many spirits here.

The land speaks, the trees sing, and the whole thing inspires poetry over descriptions. It is a place you must visit. I've removed no fewer than 10 christian baptisms here in these sacred waters. More on removing baptisms in another article.

What I Brought

  1. Half pack of beef jerky
  2. 1 granola bar
  3. More water than I could drink
  4. A Bodhran
  5. A goat skull
  6. A tent
  7. A sleeping bag
  8. My camera equipment and computer, though there was no internet.
  9. My camping tote full of misc bushcraft junk
  10. My ritual tote full of our sacred relics
  11. A cauldron, A fire, And my Kilt Attire

What I did

To the right are giant cypress trees
on the distant left is a dirt pad where I meditated over night
in total darkness.
  1. Drumming
  2. Filming
  3. Chanting
  4. Singing
  5. Kindling
  6. Swimming
  7. Praying
  8. Making offerings
  9. Drinking Mead
  10. Sit in the dark for hours

Comments

Popular Posts