5 Prayers for Pagan Children


I wrote these based on my own experience as a child. Please comment below if you like them, hated them, or have suggestions. I hope to write more when I can. Please share this post if you liked these.


1. Bedtime Prayer

Keep me, I pray, on this night, guard me by magic light,
Shield me, I pray, me and mine, for giving at your shrine.
Bíodh sé amhlaidh/Svo se thad!

2. Having Bad Dreams

Bless me as I fall asleep, I pray I don't fall too deep,
Dream I not of what is scary, and hide me from evil fairies.
Bíodh sé amhlaidh/Svo se thad!

3. Feeling Watched in the Dark

The Slua watch, plot and creep, in the dark amongst the sheep,
But Brid's fire shines a light, that keeps me safe at night,
And in the morn I'll see the sun, returning for everyone.
Bíodh sé amhlaidh/Svo se thad!

4. First Day at School

Today when I go to school, keep me from ridicule,
I will work and do my best, until it is time to rest,
Guard me from all envy, shelter me from their whimsey.
Today I will change and grow, and learn what there is to know.
Bíodh sé amhlaidh/Svo se thad!

5. Making friends

Today I will make new friends, and I will be brave,
And have courage they'll like me silly or behaved,
My Gods will protect me even through fear,
And keep from my face the fall of a tear.
Bíodh sé amhlaidh/Svo se thad!

Comments

  1. Hi Sean. I enjoy your blog a lot, and this is a cute article - rhymes make it much easier for kids to remember.

    My unrelated request is if you would consider changing the font on your blog. I have minor dyslexia and find it extremely difficult to read, especially the longer articles. I have to copy and paste the articles into Word and change the font if I want to read them. I suspect others - with and without reading disabilities - may have the same issues I do. If you would consider changing it to a sans-serif font, or at the very least a mixed-caps font, that would be extremely helpful.

    Just so you know I'm not making stuff up, you can read a little about how fonts affect accessibility here: https://go.learningally.org/dyslexia-does-font-really-matter/ and here: https://www.coetail.com/bfullerton/2016/09/27/practices-dyslexic-users/

    I hope this request doesn't offend you - I love the content of your articles.
    Bright blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments, engagement, and criticism is entirely welcome.

Popular Posts