To Brighid, A Bríd: 7 Prayers and Hymns to the Exalted One

I am posting them here in hopes to share them with people who may take comfort in them. Let them ease your soul, especially if you are afflicted by Hurricane Harvey.

If you aren't affected by Hurricane Harvey:

Here Are Ways You Can Help People During Hurricane Harvey

These are original unless otherwise stated.

Hail Bríd

Hail Bríd,
Exalted One,
You teach me the greater skill of life's purchase,
I welcome you into my hearth, unfettered by reservation.

Hail Bríd,
Poet & Seer
She who lights the labyrinth of lucidity inciting battles within the hearts of men,
You spur to rise and be the victor over the disharmony within.

Hail Bríd,
Healer & Leech
My Sacrifice I give to you of great importance,
So do I commit to follow your will..

Hail Bríd
Blacksmith & Artisan
Through your Gift, Transformation is ours,
Guided by your Stregnth & Grace, from raw toward refinement.

Hail Bríd
Patron to the Poets, Phsysicians, and Artisans,
Three Sisters, fire in the head, fire in the heart, and fire in the hand,
Bringer of the mead of inspiration,
Let my words fall softly upon you, in splendour and truth.

A Bríd, glacaigí lenár n-íobairt! (Bríd, accept our sacrifice!)
Bíodh sé amhlaidh! (So be it!)

O Gods

O Gods,
In my deeds,
In my words,
In my wishes,
In my reason,
And in the fulfilling of my desires,
In my sleep,
In my dreams,
In my repose.

In my thoughts,
In my heart and soul always,
May the flames of Brid,
And the passage of fire, well, and tree dwell.
Oh! in my heart and soul always,
May the waters of Brid,
And the strength of land, sky, and sea dwell.
Oh! in my heart and soul always,
May the vision of Brid,
And the words of the Gods, Dead, and Sidhe dwell.

Repaganized Carmina Gadelica Vol I 8

Nines woods Sacred

Sacred god, her triple fire,
Exalted one who imparts,
Keening out of rippled ire,
Her hand is seen well in arts.

Her sons, three gods of gifts,
Of Bres, their father the King,
He hosted his squads with thrift,
And still, his satire we sing.
Holy God of bard and smith,
Three Sisters of all bright flame,
Her wise touch is guarding pith,
Goddess is Bríd, magic wrights claim.

At starry Gate of heavens,
Curse of Filid leave fools naked,
Number my blessings seven,
Hot flames on nine woods sacred.

Litany of Bríd

Exalt the truth of the High One,
Who illuminates the dark and cold with her sisters,
She is in our homes, in the shop, and in our minds,
Her brightness is the healing that takes us through the gateway to the realm of gods.

When I hear her, I am sustained by her song,
When I walk with her, many stories I hear,
and when I ask of her name, my ancestors exalt her.

Standing there in the green field with the warmth of the sun on my back,
I face west upon one foot, with one arm, and see with one eye,
My prohibition ends,
My struggle ends,
My toil ends,
Guided by her hand.

The Genealogy of Bríd

The genealogy of the holy maiden Bride,
Radiant flame of gold, noble mother of gods,
Bride the daughter of Dagda Aed,
Son of Elatha, son of Net, son of Induí,
Son of Allduí, son of Bochna and Bith,
Every day and every night,
That I say the heritage of Bride,
I shall not be killed, I shall not be harried,
I shall not be put in cell, I shall not be, wounded,
Shall Follower of Christ leave me in forgetfulness.
No fire, no sun, no moon shall burn me,
No lake, no water, nor sea shall drown mc,
No arrow of fairy nor dart of fay shall wound me,
And I under the protection of my Holy Bríd,
And my gentle god is my beloved Bríd.

Repaganized Carmina Gadelica Vol I 70

Hymn To Bridget

A Bhrid, ár gcroí, an-gheal Bheanríon;
lo de thoil é beannachta sinn.
Is sinn bhur leanaí, is tu ár mamaí;
bí ag isteacht dúinn mar sin.
Is tu an coire, anois inár doire*;
a Bhean-Feasa tinfím orainn.
A thine ghrá, a thine bheatha;
lo de thoil é ag teacht Bhrid dúinn!
O Bridget, our heart, o brightest Queen;
cast your blessings unto us.
We are your children, you are our mother;
so hearken unto us.
You are the cauldron, now in our grove*;
Wise Woman inspire us.
O fire of love, o fire of life;
please Bridget, come to us!
A Bhrid, ár gcroí, an-gheal Bheanríon;
lo de thoil é beannachta sinn.
Is sinn bhur leanaí, is tu ár mamaí;
bí ag isteacht dúinn mar sin.
Is tu an coire, anois inár doire*;
a Bhean-Feasa tinfím orainn.
A thine ghrá, a thine bheatha;
lo de thoil é ag teacht Bhrid dúinn! - Isaac Bonewits


Be aware that this video is a good effort, but the pronunciation isn't why I shared it.

Bríd the Aid-Woman

There came to my assistance,
Bóann fair and Bríd;
As Bofind bore Aengus,
Without flaw in him,
Aid me now in my unbearing,
     Aid me, O Bríd!
As Aengus was conceived in Day,
Full perfect on every hand,
Assist you me, foster-mother,
The conception to bring from the bone;
And as you did aid the White Cow,
Without gold, without corn, without kine,
Aid me, great is my sickness,
     Aid me, O Bríd!

Repaganized Carmina Gadelica Vol I 71

Popular Posts